Thursday, September 21, 2006

Teachers also need encouragement

Shao-Chen, a 6th grade good-looking boy from a single parent family, used to truant and smoke. Luckily, he's well-behaved in my music class and likes to stay in a while playing the recorder when I dismiss the class. I think he's made progress lately. But, he's missing again this morning. The school broadcasted to ask him to go back to class.
I was happy to see him walking into my class this afternoon! He's late, though. As usual, he stayed after the bell rang. I seized the chance to talk to him. “I like music class.” he said. I was so glad about that. It's the advantage of guiding him for me. I hope to see him progressing every Thursday music class.

4 comments:

  1. You know, I had the same thought a couple of days ago when one of my students stayed after class and said, "May God bless you". Then he left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's really sweet! Especially it happens after I finish some noisy classes. "You're beautiful. I love you," said a 1st grade boy. And he hugged me. How cute! It made me happy the whole day. *^_^*

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I worked with inner city kids, one girl would bring her much younger siblings with her every now and them to the youth center where I was a youth advisor. One day while in the school I tutored, a young boy came up to me and gave me hug. I didn't recognize him, but gave a hug back. At the end of the day, he approached me with another hug, and this time I remembered who he was because he was with his sister who would come to the youth center.

    It made working with kids worthwhile, when unexpected things like this happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice experience, Tracy! It's impossible for us to recognize all of our students. But, they can remember us and someday maybe they'll talk about us.

    ReplyDelete